FIRST STEP TRUST JOB DESCRIPTION
|Job Title:||Assistant Manager|
|Reports to;||Northern Regional Manager|
|Location:||FST Scott Clinic, St Helens and other locations as required. Travel to other FST projects may be required for initial induction and other duties.|
|Hours per week:||37.5 per week
Currently Mon-Fri during normal office hours (excluding meal breaks) and with flexibility as required by the demands of the post, which may include the occasional weekend or evening work.
|Closing Date||21st of September 2018|
First Step Trust (FST) is a charity that provides work experience, training, qualifications and employment opportunities for people excluded from working life because of mental health problems or other disadvantages (the workforce) in secure and community settings. FST Scott Clinic provides a range of practical, office and retail work opportunities for adult men and women within the secure unit and other locations. FST currently operates an on-site retail shop and snack bar, painting & decorating, office administration and finance work sections and off-site gardening / grounds maintenance, alongside other programmes to support the recovery of workforce members within the unit.
The successful candidate will be required to carry out various practical maintenance work tasks to a high standard whilst supporting the recovery of workforce members by providing practical “on the job” training. The role will require off-site working, carrying out gardening and grounds maintenance work for existing customers, as well as work within the secure unit, carrying out painting and decorating, gardening/grounds maintenance and general maintenance tasks. In addition to this the candidate will be required to support in the running of the on site retail shop and snack bar, administration and finance sessions as well as assist in delivering additional sessions or training courses when they are run.
In practice this will mean working alongside the workforce as equals and involving them in all aspects of the work including health & safety, training, purchasing of materials, invoicing customers and liaising with suppliers within established FST policies and procedures. All of the work is undertaken as commercial contracts of work, supporting disadvantaged workers to access the demands, challenges and accountabilities of real work.
Working within the security protocols agreed between FST and Merseycare. The main duties are:
- Scheduling and coordinating the necessary resources required to operate each of the work sections on a day-to-day basis.
- Manage each practical work session as required, ensuring sessions start on time, operate for the required duration.
- Ensure that workforce members involved in doing the the sessions receive on the job training to enable them to develop marketable skills
- In some situations it may not be possible to involve workforce members so the assistant manager will have to undertake the work themselves
- Communicate clearly and effectively with Merseycare staff and any other customers we do work for.
- Invite and review feedback to maintain high standards of service.
- Encourage high standards of customer service by the members of the workforce running the sessions.
Health and Safety:
- Ensure that sessions (including any lone working sessions) are delivered within the appropriate Health & Safety procedures.
- Delivery one to one or group training on the safe operation of equipment or materials used at the sessions.
- Engage members of the workforce in sharing the responsibility for health, safety and welfare including completion of suitable and sufficient risk assessments and compliance with existing safe working methods for all work activities and equipment.
Policies & procedures:
- To work in accordance and within the limits and parameters as set out in First Step Trust’s Policies and procedures, by the board, chief executives and other executive officers.
- Maintain an up to date awareness of, and work in accordance with FST and Merseycare NHS FT’s policies and procedures, including security, confidentiality, H&S in the workplace and undertake all necessary training required to work in the medium secure environment.
- Work with the Regional Manager to support and manage the development of the workforce from within Scott Clinic secure unit, including actively identifying potential new workforce for the project.
- To compile and provide work section and session data and performance reports as required.
- Monitor the voluntary workforce running the sessions, including maintaining the session documentation which includes the completion of workforce training records, attendance and development.
- Accurately manage all aspects of administration including purchases made from suppliers and customer invoicing.
- Support the Regional Manager to identify and develop commercial opportunities at the project.
- Contribute to the development of the overall project plan and perform any other task as reasonably required to ensure the success of the project and FST
- Build good working relationships with Merseycare staff, internal and external customers, clients and colleagues.
- Contribute to the marketing and promotion of the services delivered by the project to promote customer demand.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least 2 years experience of working in a commercial environment, such as grounds maintenance, gardening, painting and decorating.
- Experience of planning and delivering work schedules and meeting deadlines.
- Experience of supervising and developing staff.
- Experience and understanding of managing finances and working within a budget.
- Experience of surveying sites, meeting customers, generating and producing estimates or quotations for work.
- Experience of purchasing, pricing or dealing with suppliers.
- Experience of producing performance reports regularly, accurately and on time.
- Experience of implementing and monitoring systems and procedures in the workplace – particularly Health & Safety.
- A clean full UK Driving license
- Demonstrable experience of H&S in the workplace, particularly in practical work environments.
- The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check
Essential Knowledge and skills
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds skills and experience
- Good customer service skills with a sound understanding of the importance of good customer relations.
- Excellent initiative, ability to prioritise work and resolve problems/issues.
- Good organisation and administrative skills
- A good working knowledge of common office software packages including; ability to work with spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel, a good understanding and experience of using the Internet, e-mail and word documents
- Good written and verbal communication skills and knowledge of H&S in the workplace
- Presentable and approachable.
- A dedicated “team” orientated person, with resilience and a positive ‘can-do’ attitude.
- An ability to maintain a flexible approach to meet the demands of work.
- Motivational, with an ability and willingness to challenge and develop people with disadvantages to overcome their barriers to work.
- Empathetic but not sympathetic. Commitment to opposing all forms of discrimination and actively promoting equality of opportunity.
- Willingness to develop, including taking any further training or qualification deemed essential to the role.
- Understanding and commitment to the values, principles and philosophy of FST.
To apply for this post please complete application form click here: Application Pack and send to email@example.com