First Step Trust Woolwich
FST Woolwich offers a range of work placements for Greenwich residents with mental health issues or other disadvantages, including drug and alcohol recovery problems and a history of offending that want to build up their confidence and experience to get back into work.
What’s it like?
You don’t need previous experience to get involved with FST – your manager and colleagues are there to support you. The only thing we ask is that you want to work. Depending on which area you are working in, you could be:
- working with a trained mechanic to service a car
- parts ordering and getting estimates for customers
- handling accounts for all projects in finance
- organising events with the Marketing & Promotions Group
What work placements we offer:
FST Woolwich currently has work placements in the following areas
SMaRT garage services: motor vehicle mechanics | garage reception | parts ordering | customer service
FST Main Office: finance | admin | marketing & promotions | training & development
General maintenance: painting & decorating | general repairs
FST runs a number of short courses. Extra support can be provided for those struggling with literacy and numeracy issues.
Driving Ambition – 10 week theory course that breaks down the highway code and encourages people to learn road safety in preparation for a DVLA Theory test and practical driving lessons.
British Health & Safety Level 2 – accredited Health & Safety course. The qualification provides candidates with the basic knowledge and understanding of health & safety in the workplace.
12 Modules of Motor Mechanics – in-house course that provides the basic knowledge of motor mechanics alongside health & safety within a garage environment. This course is both practical and classroom based.
12 Steps into Employment – this is a 12-week course that is combination of in-house courses as well as accredited courses and includes: CV Writing, OCR ICT, British Health & Safety Level 2, Customer Service, Personal Presentation, Applying for Work (application forms / cover letters/ job search.)
OCR ICT Level 1 – accredited course that covers the very basics of IT.
OCR Bookkeeping manual & computerised level 1 & 2 – accredited course that provides candidates with the basic knowledge of bookkeeping both in manual and computerised systems.
- Over 18
- Must be a resident of Greenwich
- Receiving support from a GP, Community Mental HealthTeam or other mental health professional, around mental health problems, drug and alcohol misuse / recovery problems or other disadvantages including offending / repeat offending.
FST works with all workforce members on their own personal development this includes;
- Personal Development Plan
- a work reference after 3 months of attendance
- building / updating your CV
- help with job searching, application process and interviewing preparation
- Job Club
FST Main Office
Work Placement & Training referrals
Employment & Development Manager
0208 855 7386